Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Drum Carder, the Diz and Me

 I have an old Pat Green Drum Carder,  It isn't anywhere on this site, they don't make them anymore.  I got it from a friend whose mother in law was a spinner,  The drive band was so old it wouldn't move.  The plastic cracked and broke.

Our relationship was uneasy,  new drive band, lots of oil,  it didn't seem to work the way I thought it should and I was never sure if it was me or it.
 I took some classes, watched some experts, It realized it might be replaced and started to work with me.

Suddenly I could not only blend lovely batts but I could diz roving off the carder as well as nice batts.

This fibre is 1/3 alpaca and 2/3 Romney, dyed by me.  It was supposed to be orange and it's a warm, soft peach, such are the perils of casual dyeing.


This is the Diz, only it's not a diz,   It's Kale Stripper Unfortunately I don't know any gorgeous people named Kale.  And I haven't tried it on the garden kale but it's a great diz




Below are more roving nests

No comments:

Post a Comment